Friday, September 08, 2006

Sidebar Content Explanation and Disclaimer

One thing that sets my blog apart from other blogs devoted to Catholic apologetics is my sidebar. I am aware of no other blog that has a more comprehensive collection of links then mine does. These links are also categorized into sections, that open and close with a click of each respective "button", or section title (go ahead, try it!). I've never seen that anywhere else either.

Sprinkled throughout the sidebar are a handful of links from non-Catholic sources. This should not be seen as an endorsement of any information that these sources may happen to contain that is contrary to the teaching of the Catholic Church. I am ardently faithful to the Magisterium and to the Successor of St. Peter (see my profession of faith). These links have been added to the sidebar because, despite not having a singularly Catholic identity, they are still very helpful in apologetics.

Most of these links are to reference works that have no religious affiliation whatsoever. I have found it to be quite effective whenever I can use an objective, scholarly source to defend Catholicism. This helps to undercut the argument that "only a Catholic would believe that!" Of course, I have also tried to include as many awesome Catholic resources as I possibly can.

You should always use your discretion when utilizing these resources. "Test everything, hold fast to what is good" (1 Thes 5:21).

The following links are to non-Catholic sources. They are listed in the order in which they appear:I will try to keep this list updated as more links are added to the sidebar. I hope you enjoy my blog!

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

4 comments:

Laura H. said...

Yay! You changed your comments! I'm way more excited to be leaving this comment now...

This post was very good and definitely what I thought it would be. It's great. Much needed too!

phatcatholic said...

cool, i'm glad you liked it :D

Anonymous said...

Hey phat,

You've done a great job putting this site together. It really is both cool to look and and filled with all sorts of helpful information. And the way you've taken the theme and just expanded on it in each section is as if it were "inspired" -- props to you.

One thing you might look at a second time and perhaps restate is the relationship between the following sets of sentences at the end of your disclaimer:

--"I have found it to be quite effective wheneer I can use an objective, scholarly source -- or even a Protestant source-- to defend my own beliefs about Catholicism."

and

--"This helps to undercut the argument that 'only a Catholic would believe that'! Also, in order to know our enemy, we must occasionally study his own articulations of belief."


Though I understand that I am among the protestors, I still trust you didn't mean to imply that reading Protestant sources was equivalent to reading the works of your enemy. Brothers in Christ, even those that have serious divergences in their respective theologies, are still brothers and never enemies.

Your brother in Christ, and friend in all types of weather,
Gene Ramsey

phatcatholic said...

Gene............yes, you are right. I did not mean to say that Protestants were "enemies" in an overtly antagonistic way. I was more or less just playing off the war theme. The Protestant is the "enemy" insofar as he is the one you are debating with.

Related Posts with Thumbnails