- - - - - - - - - -Someone, who will remain nameless, asked the following question in the Q&A board at Phatmass:
I am trying to find if there are any saints who actually experienced rape. Not ATTEMPTED rape, like St. Maria Goretti or St. Dymphna. Actual rape....I know that out of the thousands of saints in existence, at least one of them had to experienced this. do you know about any saints in particular?I guess it depends on how you define "rape." My understanding is that the term is gradually being used to describe any unwanted sexual advances that are physical in nature, and that it need not include intercourse. A few online dictionaries bear this out (see the following: 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5). With this definition, we can now consider the following patrons:
- St. Agatha's tortures could definitely be described as rape.
- St. Dymphna's father made "advances" on her that she had to "fight off."
- St. Joan of Arc had to take great pains to protect her purity while under the supervisions of "dissolute English soldiers" in a secular prison.
- I for one think that Maria Goretti was raped, even though her virginity remained in tact.
- Blessed Pierina Morosini was "attacked by a would-be rapist", which is a rather odd phrase. I would consider her among the patrons you are looking for as well.
- St. Solange had to resist the sexual advances of the Count of Poitiers in order to maintain her personal vow of chastity.
- Blessed Alexandrina Maria da Costa was forced to jump out of a window 4 meters high in order to avoid being sexually violated by 3 men who broke into her home.
She was not allowed an advocate, and, though accused in an ecclesiastical court, she was throughout illegally confined in the Castle of Rouen, a secular prison, where she was guarded by dissolute English soldiers. Joan bitterly complained of this. She asked to be in the church prison, where she would have had female attendants. It was undoubtedly for the better protection of her modesty under such conditions that she persisted in retaining her male attire.
He tried to rape the girl who fought, yelled that it was a sin, and that he would go to hell. He tried to choke her into submission, then stabbed her fourteen times.