Friday, March 02, 2007

Never Misunderstand a Word Again

I installed a great new feature on my blog called Answer Tips. Now, if you ever read a word you don't understand, just double-click it and a little pop-up window will appear with the definition of the word, and other helpful information. Go ahead, try it! It's pretty dope.

I like it because, unlike Snap Preview Anywhere, this plug-in is completely unobtrusive. You don't even know it's there until you double-click it. So, it doesn't intrude upon your browsing experience at all. Of course, the drawback is that if a reader doesn't see this post (or the note I plan to add to the sidebar) then they won't even know that this capability exists. But, to those "in the know", it should be pretty helpful.

Let me know what you think.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

11 comments:

Danny Garland Jr. said...

That is an awesome tool!

Little Sister said...

It's neat, but it doesn't define "dope" in the way that you've used it. I know what you meant by dope, I just wanted to see how well it would define slang.

phatcatholic said...

Yea, it appears that this tool is not always entirely accurate, but it's still helpful. I like it.

Lounge Daddy said...

An awesome tool! i was just reading about it the other day and it seems perfect for information and education geared blogs like your fine apologetics site. :)

God bless ya, Sir

Sharon said...

Great tool but when I clicked on 'definition' a definition of 'terrorism' came up - twice!

phatcatholic said...

Great tool but when I clicked on 'definition' a definition of 'terrorism' came up - twice!

Notice at the top it gives you the word it is defining, and then it says "and others." If you click on that phrase, then it will give you a list of other possible results for the word you double-clicked. Then you just choose the one that matches the word you clicked.

frbobl said...

It even does your spell check for unobstrusive...

This blog is a big boost to my ministry! Thanks!

phatcatholic said...

Good eye, frbobl! I'll fix that right away.

Laura H. said...

I don't know about Firefox, but it doesn't do anything in Safari. I think this may be something for the *cough*lame*cough* IE crowd.

Laura H. said...

Oh.. I should mention though that those of us using Safari (Mac owners) can look up words anyway. If you highlight a word, you can choose to look in spotlight, google, or look it up in the dictionary. Pretty neat, eh?

Amber said...

Wow... this is great. I could have used this the other day while reading a highly "big-wordy" blog post by another blogger... I'll have to consider adding this to my own blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails