Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Poll-Release Mon...err, Tuesday (#7)

Yea, I'm late unveiling the poll for this week. I was too busy, and tired, and braindead yesterday to post, so this week's poll had to start today. All last week was Spring Break for me, so I was only able to post sparingly. But, I should be able to pick up the pace now. Here is this week's poll:
  • Who is your favorite Catholic author?
    • J. R. R. Tolkien
    • Hillaire Belloc
    • G. K. Chesterton
    • Ronald Knox
    • Evelyn Waugh
    • Joseph Pearce
To vote, see the poll in the sidebar.

I couldn't decide if I should do "Who is your favorite Catholic author?" or "Who is the best Catholic author?" Finally, I just went with the former question because I figured that most people have not read enough works by each other to be able to determine with of them is the "best," but everyone has their favorite. My guess is that Tolkien will win, but I guess we'll see.

As for last week's poll (Which "Lady" do you love the most?), here are the results:

There wasn't as much of a turn-out for this poll as there has been for previous ones. I don't know if there is necessarily anything to read into that, it was just something I noticed. Perhaps some of my visitors have yet to foster a love of Mary in any particular role that she plays in the lives of men. Why didn't you vote in the poll? Leave a comment and let me know.

"Our Lady of Guadalupe" won easily, and this is perhaps no surprise. The apparition of our Lady to St. Juan Diego is one of the most beloved of all the Marian apparitions. Thousands of indians were converted by her presence. In 1910 Our Lady of Guadalupe was declared Patroness of Latin America, and in 1945 Pope Pius XII declared Her to be the Empress of all the Americas. Her impact upon the Catholic world has always been substantial.

I chose "Our Lady of Sorrows" because the Rosary and the Stations of the Cross have helped me to develop at special love for Mary at this stage in her life, and because her status as Co-redemptrix flows from the unity of her will to that of Jesus and her unique participation in the suffering that He endured in His Passion. So much can be gained from meditation upon Mary at the foot of the Cross!! It is indescribable.

For more on Mary as Co-redemptrix, go here. For more on Our Lady of Guadalupe, go here.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Alan Carter said...

Trusting that admitting one's limitations in knowledge and understanding is a virtue...

...I'll admit that the reason I didn't answer was because I'm not completely clear what it means to say I "prefer" one title of Mary to another.

Marian devotion is relatively new in my personal spiritual journey. (OK - 10 years new in 34 years on the planet - but that counts as new.) Not raised Catholic, it took me a long time to understand Marian devotion in general - the specifics often illude me.

I discovered the blessing of praying the Rosary. I experienced the reality that devotion to Mary draws us closer to Christ. But, I confess, I don't have any idea what it means to honor (or pray to, or practice devotion to) Our Lady of Sorrows versus - um, not to be disrespectful to our Lady at all - versus... just "Mary".

Am I too stupid to be entering Seminary? God, I hope not.

Raphaella said...

Same reason I didn't vote- I love Mary no matter what you call her.

Related Posts with Thumbnails