Sunday, April 22, 2007

The Cartoonists Respond to Virginia Tech

Ever since a reader clued me in to Daryl Cagle's Professional Cartoonists Index, I've done nothing but browse through all of these political cartoons. Half the time that's the only thing I like about the Editorial page. Granted, the cartoons reflect the political perspective of the artist just as much as the editorials that accompany them. But, it is very interesting to see how the various cartoonists choose to express themselves through their art. The outcome is often very creative and witty. Of course, the cartoon world isn't devoid of bigotry and ignorance either (see here).

I noticed that a large number of the editorial cartoons that were published around the time of this disaster seemed to blame the NRA and our current "gun culture." I think such a reaction is entirely too simplistic, but I suppose it's no surprise considering the media is still a predominately liberal enterprise. What follows are what I deem to be the most worthy and respectful cartoons in reaction to the murders at Virginia Tech. I'll leave the distasteful ones to fall into obscurity.

Remember, you can click on each pic to see a larger version of it.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic












Here's something for you to throw darts at:


I don't entirely agree with this cartoon, but you have to admit, it's funny:

5 comments:

Amy said...

I like the first one.

Alan Carter said...

I gotta' ask... Are you saying we can throw darts at the Cho cartoon because...

...it has a picture of Cho on it?

OR

...because its sentiment is so grotesquely un-Christian that we should not support it one iota?

Believe me, I am angered and saddened by the events that transpired at VT last week. But the kind of hatred expressed in that image is not only un-Christian, it is counterproductive to the kind of healing process that can bring about some good in our world.

phatcatholic said...

Alan,

First of all, I don't think there's anything un-Christian or hate-filled about the cartoon. The artist isn't trying to say that we should blow up the guy. What he's saying is that Cho was a bomb just waiting to go off. That much pent-up aggression and jealousy and vengence simply can't remain bottled up inside forever. Eventually, a person like that is going to explode, and that's what happened on the day 32 people were killed.

That said, I offered the cartoon as "something to throw darts at" as an acknowledgement that people need harmless ways to work out the natural aggression that they feel towards someone who does something as horrible as what Cho did.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

Alan Carter said...

"...people need harmless ways to work out the natural aggression that they feel towards someone who does something as horrible as what Cho did."

I couldn't agree more. Everyone is entitled to their opinion - and here you're certainly entitled to yours - it is your blog after all. (I mean that sincerely.)

For me, the image of throwing darts at a picture seems harmful & aggressive. It's only a matter of degrees from burning him in efegee (sp??), which is only a matter of degrees from what...taking out our anger and frustration on others who look like Cho? I just can't get the image out of my mind that something like throwing darts at pictures of privileged white suburbanites might have been part of Cho's past...and where did that lead?

There's sometimes something very valuable in the "What Would Jesus Do" cliche. Did he taunt or 'throw darts' at pictures of Romans or Jews who persecuted him? No - he prayed for their forgiveness. Over and over again in scripture, we're given a strategy for harmlessly addressing our anger and frustration at those who've harmed us - pray for them. In my experience, that has always vented my frustration. It isn't always easy - isn't always what I want to do - but it always works.

phatcatholic said...

Alan,

I think you are taking what I said much more seriously than it was ever intended to be received. When I said, "Here's something for you to throw darts at," it was a tongue-in-cheek statement. It was never intended to instigate harmful aggression towards anyone. It was all in jest. Now, I could defend the position that throwing darts at a picture is in fact neither harmful nor aggressive, but I think that would be making a mountain out of a molehill.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

Related Posts with Thumbnails