Thursday, May 03, 2007

I Have a Confession to Make

I love music. Secular music. Hard rock music. R&B. 80's hair bands. Even some rap (gasp!).

I know, it's probably not what you expected. You probably think I listen to Gregorian Chant and Latin hymns all day. But, anyone who knows me in real life, who hangs out with me, who rides in the car with me for more than 5 minutes knows that I am a huge music fan. I can sing just about every song I hear on the radio, especially if it is a hard rock song. I grew up listening to the radio and watching VH1. Music was a huge part of my childhood and it remains a huge part of my life.

In order to share this part of my life with you, I made a playlist of 45 songs that I like. You can find the playlist at the bottom of my sidebar. Listen to it. Tell me what you think. Too daring? Too scandalous? Can this type of music have a place here, on a blog where I talk about Catholic things?

I've debated for a long time over whether or not I should do this. I'm afraid you all will think I'm the devil. Not Christian enough. Not Catholic enough. Maybe it's true. I don't know. I just know that I can't pretend that I don't like this stuff, because I do. Plus, it's just wierd to be hiding this part of my life from people and not making it a part of my online persona.

So, there you have it. My guilty pleasure is out in the open. It is what it is.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

11 comments:

Shellie said...

See... now we're interested. :)

Except I see the box that reads "Fine Tune" but clicking it takes me to their website and there's nothing else in the box for me. Wondering if I have my security too tight.

At any rate... I love Gomez: Girlshapedlovedrug and How We Operate and oh and Big & Rich's Nevermind Me. I'm pretty sure we're still Catholic. Maybe not mainstream Catholic but hey.

catholicandgop said...

I love music too (although some might wonder about my tastes in music). I know some people are really into Christian music, and its ok, but most of it I don't find all that interesting.

Olivia On Air said...

Love your blogs. And I do christian music for a living. I hardly ever listen to it. But God talks to me through the IPOD everyday.

Laura H. said...

i thought of you constantly while at edgefest. you would have been so at home there. and you can add this supposed 'guilty pleasure' to my list too...

Youth Minister said...

Phatcatholic,

This is a difficult thing to discuss. As a youth minister I am always questioning kids on what type of music they listen to because music can have a huge influence on the way we act and often puts us in a certain frame of mind, which can be unhealthy for our soul. As adults, we ourselves should reflect on how the music we listen to influences our lives and if it leads us away from serving God, them we need to think twice about not listening to that type of music.

My second thought is this. If the artists we listen to doesn’t reflect our beliefs should we listen to their music? A good example is the current Sheryl Crowething. Should we support her music when we know she supports the killing a babies….Where do we draw the line?

Finally, I love music and have listened to music which necessary wasn’t good for my soul (Snoop Dog…) but after much prayer I found other music and other things to replace this type of satisfaction.

This could be a great discussion!!!

Oh, I'm not passing judgment!

phatcatholic said...

shellie.........I think you have to wait a little bit for it to load. if that doesn't work, try refreshing the page. i'm trying to find another player that works better, but until then, we're stuck w/ this one.

Alan Carter said...

Something we have in common. Music is almost a "relationship" for me - and nearly all kinds of it. One of the first things I asked the Vocations Director when I began to get serious about applying to seminary was, "Um... I like music - is that OK?"

Check out this blog entry if you're interested. BTW - LOVED your playlist.

http://alansjourney.blogspot.com/2007/02/ipod-random-shuffle-challenge.html

Matt said...

Nick,

How did you get that picture of me banging my head, drinking a beer?

phatcatholic said...

Matt...........dude, I have cameras hidden all over St. Mary's. I know how seminarians get down ;)

Btw, did you listen to the songs!?!? Flashback city.....

Theocoid said...

I used to play in an 80s hair band, then later in an alternative hard rock band. While I still get the urge to bang my head (sans hair), I have decided to forego much of the music I used to listen to back then (unless it's something with neutral or positive lyrics like Kansas).

Fortunately, there's plenty on the Christian air waves to keep me happy: Skillet, Thousand Foot Krutch, Disciple, and Gretechen to name a few. In fact, Skillet played locally just the other night. Wish I didn't have an exam to study for.

Shellie Stephens said...

It's working for me today. I like it.

Def Leppard! Man, thanks. I am now cruisin' state line with a girlfriend, 1989... :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails