Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Hour Has Not Yet Come

Jacob asked the following question in response to my earlier post on Mary's lifetime of sinlessness:
You said that Mary's and God's and Jesus' will were so aligned that she would not ask for something he did want to do, but didnt Jesus say that it wasnt his time, and wonder why she asked it of Him?
First of all, congratulations on being my 100th Q&A! I wish there was a gift I could give you! Perhaps this answer will suffice.

Now, let's look again at the passage in question:
Jn 2:1-5
1 On the third day there was a marriage at Cana in Galilee, and the mother of Jesus was there;
2 Jesus also was invited to the marriage, with his disciples.
3 When the wine failed, the mother of Jesus said to him, "They have no wine."
4 And Jesus said to her, "O woman, what have you to do with me? My hour has not yet come."
5 His mother said to the servants, "Do whatever he tells you."
Recall that I explained in my earlier post that another way to translate the Greek for "O woman, what have you to do with me" is as "What is that to you or to me?" Jesus is asking her if she understands how drastically her request will impact both of their lives. I think the next sentence ("My hour has not yet come") further drives home his point.

As of that moment, Jesus' hour had not yet come. But, once he performs the miracle, then his hour will begin. His march to the Cross will begin. A course will be set that will cause great suffering for both him and his mother. I think Jesus simply wants to make sure that Mary truly understands what is about to happen and the full scope of her request.

And she does. After all, Simeon had already told her at the Presentation in the Temple, "Behold, this child is set for the fall and rising of many in Israel, and for a sign that is spoken against (and a sword will pierce through your own soul also), that thoughts out of many hearts may be revealed" (Lk 2:34-35). She knows what must be done. She is not afraid. That's why she immediately turns to the servants and says, "Do whatever he tells you."

May we all be like our Blessed Mother, never afraid to walk with Jesus to the Cross.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Reyden said...

nice post,,keep up the good work.

phatcatholic said...

Thank you Reyden. Welcome to my blog!

Related Posts with Thumbnails