Pretty cool, huh? Click on each image for a larger version of it. I wish I was an art major so that I knew better how to interpret the various actions and objects that appear in these paintings. A few things I notice are:
- The Cross bridges the gap between heaven and Hades. This is because it is by the work of the Cross that the early Fathers are freed.
- The righteous souls appear in a tomb because, like Hades, a tomb is the "abode of the dead."
- In two of the paintings Jesus stands on the devil because, in conquering Hades, Jesus, "the Author of life" destroyed "him who has the power of death, that is, the devil, and [delivered] all those who through fear of death were subject to lifelong bondage" (Heb 2:14-15; cf. Acts 3:15).
If you would like to learn more about Jesus' descent into hell, go here. You can also see the following blog posts:
- Debate with "seal" on Jesus' Descent Into Hell: Parts One and Two
- More on Jesus' Descent Into Hell
- Jesus in Hell?: Parts One and Two