Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Who Said Memorial Day Weekend Was Supposed to Be Fun?

I'm telling you, I must be the most absent-minded human being on the face of the planet. Friday night, Amy and I went to the Pittsburgh Airport to pick up her friend, and I left my debit card in one of the ATM machines! Of course, I didn't find out until we were back in Steubenville. Ugh! I'm such a moron. Oh, and since I chose the perfect weekend to lose my debit card, I had to wait four days before I could do something about it.

This was the first time I've actually hated Memorial Day. Usually I praise God for a long weekend, but this one just sucked because the only thing on my mind the whole time was the fact that my debit card was gone, and I had no access to my money because--as luck would have it--I didn't have anymore checks in my checkbook. It was definitely a long weekend! But oh well, today I called the credit union that owns the ATM and I should be able to pick up my card tomorrow.

What I realize now is that hidden behind the difficulties of the weekend was a missed opportunity. I could have used those four days to grow in patience and humility (I was really beating myself up over it). Better yet, I could have "offered up" my suffering for those who have no money. I'm blessed to have the problem of a lost debit card! Most people don't even have food to eat, let alone electronic access to a checking account. My suffering could have been for good, instead of for the ruin of my weekend.

But, I was too focused on my frustration to think of anything like that. I get frustrated and anxious a lot, and I think that if I could only get into the habit of looking for the good that could come out of it then I would not be so stressed out all the time. Plus, I could do something powerful with what bothers me so often, instead of allowing it to destroy me. "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ" (1 Pet 1:6-7).

For more on the redeeming value of suffering, go here.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

3 comments:

Tiber Jumper said...

Nick:
I feel your pain, my wife and I lose our debit and credit cards annually. we never get mad at each other because we are both straw brains!
"If I only had a brain"

jmjtina said...

just don't beat yourself up for not beating yourself up, and.....ta da! Offer it up. I bet you that God will give you another opportunity!!!!

=)

Laura H. said...

hang out with me more. then you'll really learn to grow in humility. you can't be with me (or be me) and be prideful. too many reminders that you aren't nearly perfect. ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails