Monday, June 04, 2007

Jesus in Hell?: Part 3

[also see parts 1 and 2]
Once I answered all of the objections posed by "exodus", another poster by the name of "Orthodox" took up his cause. So, parts 3, 4, and 5 in the debate will be with him.
There is no scriptural evidence that Jesus went anywhere but the grave after his death on the cross. I Peter is referring to Noah and the flood. The Holy Spirit preached to those souls who were to be engulfed by the coming judgement through water.
Perhaps you would like to refute all of the Scriptural evidence I have provided in this thread.
The Apostle's Creed doesn't teach this either. See this post that I did on this very thing.
I don't see how this post proves that the Apostles' Creed does not teach Jesus' descent into hell. Personally, I don't think it gets much clearer than "He descended into hell."
There are theological consequences as well. We have to answer this question: Was the work of Christ on the cross enough (sufficient), or did he need to do something more (i.e. go to hell or hades, ect.) in order to fulfill the vocation given him by the Father?
If what Jesus did on the cross is truely a work that was "finished" why would he go to hell? If one believes that there was perhaps another work given Christ, what work was that?
Please go back and read post #14 in this thread. I have already responded to this argument.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Maria Helena said...

Nicholas,

I think your doing a great job on this subject.

phatcatholic said...

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails