Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mark Shea and Our Crybaby Culture

Props to Mark Shea for his cover story in the June 2007 issue of Crisis Magazine, which hit the shelves today. It's about our insecure, cry-me-a-river, woe-is-me culture that whines and moans every time the wind blows --and I wish I could sign my name to it. I mean, really, Mark, can I take credit for your article because you totally nailed my stance on the subject.

All of the "Professionally Aggrieved Grievance Professionals" get called out: African Americans, homosexuals, Native Americans, Irishmen, feminists, environmentalists, animal rights activists, atheists, and yes, Christians too. But, "When it comes to sheer childish inability to cope with a world not to their liking, nobody does it like Muslims." AMEN. This part on profiling is particularly good:
This peculiar conviction that, “If you’ve seen one Abrahamic religion, you’ve seen ‘em all,” also apparently governs much of our policy in transportation safety. Alloyed with our peculiar fear and shame over the possibility of giving offense, it has yielded the wondrous policy of acting as though absolutely everybody is at equal risk of being a terrorist, just as, 20 years ago, grievance activists in the homosexual community persuaded everyone we were all at equal risk for AIDS.
[. . .]
In much the same way, it turns out that not everybody is at equal risk for being an Islamic terrorist. Studies are well on the way to showing a strong correlation between Muslim terrorists and a condition known as “being Muslim.” Though the data are still being analyzed, it’s probably not rash to say that every Islamic terrorist is a Muslim, though of course not all or even most Muslims are terrorists. But given that the Muslim community does seem to be the locus of the problem of Muslim terrorism, it would seem prudent for security officials to focus their efforts there and not spend a great deal of time scrutinizing nuns, six-year-old farm boys, and Lutheran Bridge Club members for their ties to al-Qaeda or similar Islamic organizations.
Of course, looking for Muslim terrorists among the Muslim is just way too logical, hence the desparate outcry from the Grievance Professionals.

In times like this we don't need sensitivity training, we need insensitivity training. Mark is gracious enough to provide us with tips on how to be more insensitive (most of these tips refer to examples of crybaby-ness provided earlier in the article--make sure you read the whole thing).
  1. Ask yourself, “Am I an idiot?” There are three basic kinds of idiots: intellectual, emotional, and moral. An intellectual idiot is too stupid to know or find out what a word means. An emotional idiot is too stupid to care what a word means if it stands between him and a good temper tantrum. A moral idiot may be intellectually and emotionally sound, yet still be willing to sacrifice the happiness of others simply to file a lawsuit on behalf of intellectual or emotional idiots who don’t know what, say, “picnic” or “niggardly” mean. If you are any of these kinds of idiot, proceed immediately to step two.
  2. Consider the possibility that you just need to get a life. Signs of this need include spending all day in a sweat of irritation because religious people exist, hallucinations that you are being raped by classical music, constant convulsive outrage over words like “history” and “master/slave” or “outing,” and a gasping sense of oppression at the thought of urinals. Wigging out over leprechauns and tomahawk chops is another “get a life” indicator. Still other signs include loss of sleep and anger-management issues over presidential greeting cards, cartoons, ice cream lids, and books with pigs in them. If these symptoms persist, proceed to step three.
  3. Grow up. Failure to grow up could result in becoming a human toothache and constituting a transmission vector for ulcers, psychological and physiological ailments, and a whole host of complex societal disorders including an overburdened diaper-laundering industry.
  4. Finally, find something useful to do with your time, such as learning to laugh, particularly at yourself. You’ll be happier. So will the rest of us.
Brilliant. Simply Brilliant. Hat tip and a bow to Mark Shea.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

3 comments:

Mokegowa said...

I find Religion a vary...ridiculous subject to talk to people about, I'm Christian, and I'm happy being a Christian, I have my own views about god that Even people in my Church (I haven't gone to church.. in a Looooooooooooooooooong time) But it doesn't bother me like other religious people aren't bothered by other peoples views...Because we believe it, and I think trying to convert people is wrong (I'm not saying your converting anyone, your just defending, I got that gist) But, Defending as you may be, Posting forceful words and images that may possibly convert someone (I dislike the word convert... ) , It may vary well, Make someones life UBER HAPPY, and or, Could destroy it, So please, Be careful with your choice of words...

ha...I can't wait till you read my blog, your going to be like, DEAR LORD IN HEAVEN, HE HAS NO RIGHT TALKING TO ME!!! HOMO!!!

Laura O. said...

Well, I think that Mark Shea has a point. I think that people need to be less self important, it's definantly better for your health.

I fail to see what this post has to do with conversion and the like.

I also fail to see how prejudging his reaction to reading your own blog Mokegowa, at the conclusion of your post would facilitate an open discussion of your differing view points.

You might want to follow your own advice and choose your words wisely.

Scott said...

I love the article, myself... It's a bit condescending and all but that part is a little fun, I have to admit. The whole PC movement is faily juvenile.

I am gald to have discovered your bloggage. I am a new member of the Catholic Church, Baptized, Confirmed and received of my First Holy Eucharist this past Easter Vigil. I will be coming by regularly to read you...

fyi, my blog: www.sobernuggets.blogspot.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails