Monday, June 11, 2007

Poll-Release Monday #18

Here is the new poll for this week:
  • Which anti-Catholic claim is the most difficult one for you to answer?
    • "Catholics worship Mary."
    • "The Catholic Church did nothing for the Jews during the Holocaust."
    • "The Catholic Church is the Whore of Babylon."
    • "Catholics believe that you can work or buy your way into heaven."
    • "Catholics worship statues."
    • "The Catholic Church was founded by Constantine in 313 AD."
    • "The pope is the anti-Christ."
The inspiration for this poll is a series of questions that I answered recently about the Catholic Church (I will be posting them here shortly). It made me wonder how many Catholics are able to answer the various questions and claims that are often lofted against the Church. Vote in the poll (in my sidebar) and then click on each option for more information. "Always be prepared to make a defense to any one who calls you to account for the hope that is in you..." (1 Pet 3:15). Equp yourself so that you "may be able to give instruction in sound doctrine and also to confute those who contradict it" (Tit 1:9).

As for last week's poll ("Which category of posts on my blog do you like the most?"), the results were the same as they were when I used the same poll 4 months ago:


Just like last time, only 19 people voted. The Q&A category won again too. But, there were some differences. More people liked the Blog Updates this time around, while less people liked the Personal posts. I was surprised by that last statistic because it was the popularity of the various posts about my life that made me want to incorporate that into my blog more in the first place. But, I do realize that it could be that those who like my Personal posts simply like some other category more.

That's fine. I was just trying to see if maybe you all had a better idea of what you liked the most about my blog. It seems to me from the lack of votes that the answer to that question is still up in the air. Why didn't you vote? Leave a comment and let me know.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

8 comments:

Jon said...

What about the ever popular "Church started well, but became corrupt in the middle ages, and because of a divided community the church does not have authority"

Lindsay said...

I didn't vote last time because I haven't been reading your blog long enough to know which category I like. :)

Laura H. said...

i voted personal. sometimes its the only way i feel like i keep up with you anymore...

Hidden One said...

I voted resources. I like pretty much everything, but I really like finding handy resources. Nice thign about defending the Catholic side is that there's 2000 years worth of people far smarter and wiser and 'farther along in their walk' than I whose arguments I can read up on and adapt or link to as necessary. Big advantage of our mini-pope Protestant brethren.

Anyway, the question I haven't seen answered well enough is how salvation by grace alone can still exist without salvation by faith alone. Sure, it's obvious to us, but a lot of people genuinely don't get it, probably because of that. My second most annoying question to answer is about imputation/infusion. I'm looking around for a predomiantly Scriptural assault on the Protestant position, with an explanation and support of the Catholic position with the comparative thoroughness of, say, H.G. Graham's assault on misconceptions in regards to the Bible in 'Where We Got the Bible', (which just so happens to be the literary work that sunk me on Sola Scriptura and thereby sunk the hook in that pulled me toward 'the fold').

So, yes. I am, for once, abstaining from this poll.

Anonymous said...

Hidden one,

Go here:

http://www.scripturecatholic.com

phatcatholic said...

Hidden One,

For info on "sola fide" go here:
http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat/140

For info on grace, go here:
http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat/137

For info on infusion vs. imputation, go here:
http://www.phatmass.com/directory/index.php/cat/143

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

Hidden One said...

I've been to Scripture Catholic, and read a lot of their stuff a few motnhs ago. In fact, I actually used that site as the primary source for the series on modesty that still gets me half my hits on one of my blogs. I know whaat Sola Fide is, and have done probably upwards of 1/2 of my apologetics against it. Actually, I have previously read many of the articles linked to in the Defense Directory on Sola Fide, grace, and even infusion vs imputation (in fact, prior to even discovering this site).

My problem is not that I do nto knwo what these things are, or what, to a good/great degree, know that the Church teaches about them, but rather that I have not yet encountered a thorough, quality apologetic work specifically about how salvation by grace still works without Sola Fide and likewise have not on infusion vs imputation. If there is such hiding behind titles in the articles that I did not check/have not previously read, then shame on me, but such is life. As it is, I will probably end up doign my absolute best to put up articles to those effects on my apologetics blog once I have enough time to do a reasonably good job of it/as best as I can. For the imputation/infusion, I will probably use ScriptureCatholic's massive selection of biblical quotes for the basis, but I find that people respond better and read more if there's a commentary to go along with Bible verses.

Anyway, thanks for your collective help, I'm off to bed.

Sincerely in Christ,
Hidden One

PS: If this comment is gibberish, blame my tiredness.

phatcatholic said...

Hidden One,

For a book on Sola Fide, see "Not By Faith Alone" by Robert Sungenis.

For a book on grace and infused/imputed righteousness, see "Salvation Controversy" by Jimmy Akin.

Related Posts with Thumbnails