Monday, July 30, 2007

"phatcatholic" meets "Super Dave"

This weekend was bitter sweet. I stayed up late Thursday night cleaning up the apartment in preparation for Friday, the day I meet THE David Amrstrong. I went to bed that night expecting everything to go according to plan. I would go to work, as usual, and then come home and meet Dave on campus. Well, Friday morning brought a rude awakening.

When I opened my eyes, I turned my head to the left and the entire room started spinning. I mean, the ENTIRE room. I couldn't believe it! I put my hand over my eyes and thought to myself, "What the hell is going on?" I opened my eyes and tried again. Same result. I decided to sleep an extra 15 minutes and try a third time. Same result. Once that happened, work was totally out of the question. I fumbled around (I'm surprised a didn't puke) and managed to find the right phone number and call in sick.

I went back to bed and decided to sleep for a couple of hours, praying to God that all would be well when I opened my eyes again. Same result. Eventually, I decided to go downstairs and sit on the couch. I thought that maybe the cooler temperature, and sitting instead of laying down will help me. Unfortunately, it got worse.

So, I'm sitting there, trying to keep it together. I even tried to eat something, but I couldn't. Then, I thought to msyelf, "Maaan, this is eerily similar to the panic attack I had a few years ago. Disoriented? Check. Hot? Check. Fearful for my well-being? Check. Anxious? Check. "Oh crap, I'm about to have another nervous breakdown!"

Once that thought hit me, it all went downhill. I started breathing faster. My fingers started tingling. I started shaking. I kept feeling like I needed to cry. It was awful. Eventually, I called some friends and they took me to the hospital. The day I'm supposed to meet the man who was very instrumental in my conversion, and I'm taking a trip to the hospital! Pretty crazy.

I was so dizzy and disoriented when I got to the hospital that when they tried to push me in a wheelchair I fell out of it. Literally. I was laying on the ground. I don't know if the nurse was on speed or if I was just too far gone, but when she pushed me in that God-awful thing I felt like I was on a rollercoaster!

Eventually they got me in bed, and after checking my blood pressure several times, testing a blood sample, and giving me a shot, they determined that my inner-ear was messed up. It seems like a guess to me, since I don't know how one would come to that conclusion based on how they examined me. They never even addressed the panic attack symptoms (shaking, crying, saying irrational stuff). I still don't know exactly why that happened. My guess is that the inner-ear problem reminded me too much of what happened before and that triggered it again. But, that is just a guess.

Anyway, when I got home from the hospital, I still wasn't great, but I was well enough to walk on my own. So, I got dressed and walked down to the campus to meet Dave. He's a cool dude. A lot of fun and even a little quirky :D Even though I slept a lot more than I normally would have, we managed to have some great conversations, and he was very generous, giving me a free signed copy of his new book The One-Minute Apologist and a discount on his CD of e-books. Depsite my dizziness, I was happy to have him as my guest and I am thankful for the opportunity to meet him in person.

Thanks Dave!

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

ps: Unfortunately, we were unable to take any pictures. Someone buy me a digital camera!!

5 comments:

Angela said...

What a tale! I'm glad things went well and you got a break from work. ;)

Hidden One said...

Wow. That's quite a day!

Amy M. said...

Scared....the ever-loving....crap out of me!!!!!

I don't like thinking about that day actually. It makes me kinda upset :-(

jsb2 said...

Nicholas,
Sounds a lot like what I have -- Meniere's disease. Mine started with ringing and a fullness in my right ear. The ear doctor gave me a diuretic and told me to get off salt and caffeine. For the first two years all I did was take the diuretic until I had an episode like yours. Since then I have greatly reduced my salt intake and almost totally gotten off of caffeine.
I am also a Dave Armstrong fan.
Wish you the best.

Steve Brown

Laura H. said...

I know the rollercoaster comment wasn't funny but I did laugh out loud. And a lot of nurses are scary wheelchair drivers!! Hehe...

Related Posts with Thumbnails