Thursday, July 19, 2007

Thank You for a Wonderful Year

(The pope is here to celebrate, hehe)
Today is the one-year anniversary of phatcatholic apologetics. I'm really happy to finally reach this milestone. For a long time I didn't want to do a blog. I didn't think I really had anything new to offer. But, I finally went for it because I thought it would be cool to have in one place all the substantial posts I've written at Phatmass and other Protestant message boards in defense of the faith.

Of course, once I set my mind to something I tend to obsess over it, and this blog is no different. Since I finally started blogging regularly in August, I have spent every day trying to make this one of the best Catholic blogs in the blogosphere. I'm not content to have my own little hole somewhere where I can set up a shrine to myself and blab on and on about every little thought and feeling that I have. I want to change people with this blog. I went to set people free with the Truth. I want to ignite within others the same fire that was enkindled in me when I first started learning more about Catholicism almost 5 years ago. I know it sounds overly-ambitious, but I don't really give a damn.

Unfortunately, I don't have very good statistics with which to gage my footprint on the internet and my impact on people. I didn't have a counter on my blog until October and Blogger didn't always provide the ability to label your posts (and thus keep track of what you write on different subjects). Since labels were possible, I've been trying to go back and label my posts, but I still have about 100 or so left to go. That said, here are my stats for the year:

Total posts: 376

Posts by topic:
100th Post (3)
Anti-Catholicism (4)
Baptism (6)
Bioethics (4)
Blog Updates (49)
Catholic Daily (48)
Christianity (1)
Church Authority / Papacy (9)
Communion of Saints (23)
Confession / Reconciliation (4)
Conversion (2)
Current Events (7)
Debates (39)
Early Church Fathers (4)
Education / Catechetics (12)
End Times / Eschatology (11)
Feast Days and Holydays (31)
God (11)
Holy Eucharist / Sacrifice of the Mass (18)
Jesus / Christology (29)
Mary (14)
Miscellaneous (17)
Papers (17)
Personal (28)
Poetry (4)
Polls (23)
Prayer / Devotion / Spirituality (12)
Priesthood (2)
Questions and Answers (108)
Resources (43)
Salvation (12)
Scripture (19)
Sin / Morality (27)
The Church / Ecclesiology (5)
Tracts (13)
Poll-Release Monday Results:
  • Which, if any, of the Catholic Blog Awards do you think I should win?
    • Total Votes: 45
    • Winning Option: "Best Apologetics Blog" (20)
  • Which category of posts on my blog do you like the most?
    • Total Votes: 19
    • Winning Option: "Questions and Answers" (9)
  • Which Catholic belief is the most difficult for you to defend?
    • Total Votes: 45
    • Winning Option: "Mary's Perpetual Virginity" (10) and "The Assumption of Mary Into Heaven" (10)
  • Which one of these warrior saints is your favorite?
    • Total Votes: 48
    • Winning Option: "St. Michael the Archangel" (29)
  • Who is the most quotable Catholic personality?
    • Total Votes: 51
    • Winning Option: "G. K. Chesterton" (19)
  • Which "Lady" Do You Love the Most?
    • Total Votes: 33
    • Winning Option: "Our Lady of Guadalupe" (13)
  • Who is your favorite Catholic author?
    • Total Votes: 29
    • Winning Option: "G. K. Chesterton" (14)
  • Which of the four Gospels is your favorite?
    • Total Votes: 25
    • Winning Option: "John" (15)
  • Who do you think is our best modern-day Catholic apologist?
    • Total Votes: 120
    • Winning Option: "Scott Hahn" (80)
  • Who is your favorite early Church Father?
    • Total Votes: 27
    • Winning Option: "St. Augustine" (14)
  • Which Apostle do you identify with the most?
    • Total Votes: 34
    • Winning Option: "St. Peter" (17)
  • What do you think I should add to my blog?
    • Total Votes: 32
    • Winning Option: "Thoughts about my everyday life and struggles" (8)
  • What is our nation's best Catholic university?
    • Total Votes: 52
    • Winning Option: "Franciscan University of Steubenville" (22)
  • Should I keep the music player (at the bottom of my sidebar)?
    • Total Votes: 25
    • Winning Option: "Yes" (18)
  • What is your favorite religious order?
    • Total Votes: 41
    • Winning Option: "Dominicans" (17)
  • Which Catholic prayer/devotion do you like the most?
    • Total Votes: 35
    • Winning Option: "Praying the Rosary" (20)
  • Which category of posts on my blog do you like the most? (Part 2)
    • Total Votes: 19
    • Winning Option: "Questions and Answers" (6)
  • Which anti-Catholic claim is the most difficult one for you to answer?
    • Total Votes: 27
    • Winning Option: "The Catholic Church did nothing for the Jews during the Holocaust" (7)
  • What do you think of the new background image?
    • Total Votes: 27
    • Winning Option: "Keep it" (19)
  • How long has it been since you went to Confession?
    • Total Votes: 27
    • Winning Option: "1 month" (10)
  • How long has it been since you went to Eucharistic adoration?
    • Total Votes: 42 (and counting)
    • Winning Option: "Less than 1 week" (12)
The total votes for these polls has always been really low, but I want to keep doing it. I like knowing what you all like, and I think that these polls add some interactivity to the blog. Feel free to root for the option you want to win and get your friends to come and vote.

More statistics:


I know that these numbers aren't exactly the best you've ever seen, but I am very proud of what I have been able to achieve with this blog in such a short amount of time. Thank you all so very much for everthing you have done to make this blog a success. You all have showed me that you appreciate learning about the Catholic Church and you even like to hear about the skinny dude who writes all this stuff. I am humbled and blessed.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

3 comments:

jmjtina said...

you have stats, bars and graphs? You ARE such a Catholic nerd!!!!! but then again, that's not such a bad thing looking at Amy's avatar on phatmass!!! =P

prayers for ya!

Julia said...

I truly enjoy your blog and wish to thank you for sharing your thoughts with us.

phatcatholic said...

Thanks!

Related Posts with Thumbnails