Wednesday, August 01, 2007

"Unless You Become Like Children...."

Christine from Domestic Vocation has a great post on how to explain the Sacrifice of the Mass to little children. I liked it so much that I couldn't help but provide a little bit of it here:
First, to understand how the sacrifice of Calvary is present at the Mass, we must understand that God is outisde of time. Gracious! How on EARTH do I explain that everything in time is an ever-present NOW to God?

Suddenly, a picture came into my head: a snow globe.

Imagine the people inside the snow globe are real. Inside their tiny world, they can look around and see stuff. But they cannot see everything. We, outside, can see the entirety of the snow globe. In this way, we are like God looking at Man who is trapped in time. He can see all of time all at once, while we can see only what is right in front of us.
[. . .]
Next was how to explain Jesus offering Himself to the Father daily. Offering, specifically, His Sacrifice on the Cross.

Again, I got a clear picture in my mind of my daughters' art work.

"Imagine," I said, "that you have drawn a special picture for Mommy and Daddy. And every day, you take out the picture and say, 'Remember when I drew this for you. I love you so much. Isn't my picture beautiful?' This is what Jesus does for us."

I went on to talk about how He is not re-sacrificed at Mass, but the eternal Sacrifice that Christ made on the Cross is presented to the Father at each Mass. It's like Jesus takes out a picture and shows it to His Father each day.

Even more like it, really, is the idea that the Sacrifice is ever-present to the Father, much like the pictures my daughters have made for us are ever-present in my bedroom. The paintings and drawings they've hung up are a constant reminder to us how much they love us. They decorate the walls all around our bed, so that one of the first things we see when we get up, as well as one of the last things we see when we go to sleep, are love notes and artwork from our two girls.
The snow globe is a pretty good analogy. I always use the image of a movie reel rolled out in front of you. The characters in each frame can only see what's in the current frame they are in. They can't see the next frame. But, as one outside of the reel looking down at it, I can see what happens in each frame all at once.

I really liked the analogy of the artwork (if you go to her post you can see the artwork from her children that she is referring to). I don't know if I could have come up with that one. Christine credits God for helping her find these ways of explaining the Mass to her children, and I don't doubt it. The effect of their artwork on the wall is just a great analogy. As the "Father," I would see their work every day. It would remind me of the love that they have for me and this would cause me in turn to pour out my love on others. It's just a great image.

I'm convinced that mothers who homeschool their children have it much tougher than the theologians and the apologists out there. Daily, they are having to come up with ways to educate their children about the Truths of the Catholic faith that will help them to understand it without watering down what their children need to learn. Heaven has a special place both for these children and for those who bring them up in the Faith. Homeschooling: truly a "domestic vocation."

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

1 comment:

Christine the Soccer Mom said...

Thank you so very much for your kind words and the referral. :)

God bless!

Related Posts with Thumbnails