Monday, September 03, 2007

Poll-Release Monday #27

Here is this week's poll question: "Should I keep the magazine-style formatting (large first letter for each post), or should I go back to normal?" Here are your options:
  • Keep the magazine-style formatting
  • Go back to normal
I'm just curious to see what everyone thinks. Please vote in the poll towards the top of my sidebar.

I changed the color to the same gray as the date and footer for each post and the headings in my sidebar, so I think it matches my blog better now. Originally it was blue b/c I wanted to match my ocean/beach background, but then I realized that the background probably didn't match as well as it could have, so I changed the background back to the clouds (that's what those are, btw) and I changed the color of the large first letter to match accordingly.

As for last week's poll question ("For wherever you go I will go, . . . your God will be my God." Whose words are these?), here are the results:


The majority wins :D The quotation is from Ruth 1:16. Here's the passage in context:

Ruth 1:6-18 Then she started with her daughters-in-law to return from the country of Moab, for she had heard in the country of Moab that the LORD had visited his people and given them food. 7 So she set out from the place where she was, with her two daughters-in-law, and they went on the way to return to the land of Judah. 8 But Na'omi said to her two daughters-in-law, "Go, return each of you to her mother's house. May the LORD deal kindly with you, as you have dealt with the dead and with me. 9 The LORD grant that you may find a home, each of you in the house of her husband!" Then she kissed them, and they lifted up their voices and wept. 10 And they said to her, "No, we will return with you to your people." 11 But Na'omi said, "Turn back, my daughters, why will you go with me? Have I yet sons in my womb that they may become your husbands? 12 Turn back, my daughters, go your way, for I am too old to have a husband. If I should say I have hope, even if I should have a husband this night and should bear sons, 13 would you therefore wait till they were grown? Would you therefore refrain from marrying? No, my daughters, for it is exceedingly bitter to me for your sake that the hand of the LORD has gone forth against me." 14 Then they lifted up their voices and wept again; and Orpah kissed her mother-in-law, but Ruth clung to her. 15 And she said, "See, your sister-in-law has gone back to her people and to her gods; return after your sister-in-law." 16 But Ruth said, "Entreat me not to leave you or to return from following you; for where you go I will go, and where you lodge I will lodge; your people shall be my people, and your God my God; 17 where you die I will die, and there will I be buried. May the LORD do so to me and more also if even death parts me from you." 18 And when Na'omi saw that she was determined to go with her, she said no more.

This is a very touching passage. The NAB has the following, in it's introduction to the book:
The Book of Ruth is named after the Moabite woman who was joined to the Israelite people by her marriage with the influential Boaz of Bethlehem.
The book contains a beautiful example of filial piety, pleasing to the Hebrews especially because of its connection with King David, and useful both to Hebrews and to Gentiles. Its aim is to demonstrate the divine reward for such piety even when practiced by a stranger. Ruth's piety (Ruth 2:11), her spirit of self-sacrifice, and her moral integrity were favored by God with the gift of faith and an illustrious marriage whereby she became the ancestress of David and of Christ. In this, the universality of the messianic salvation is foreshadowed.
In the Greek and Latin canons the Book of Ruth is placed just after Judges, to which it is closely related because of the time of its action, and just before Samuel, for which it is an excellent introduction, since it traces the ancestry of the Davidic dynasty. One might characterize the literary form of this book as dramatic, since about two-thirds of it is in dialogue. Yet there is every indication that, as tradition has always held, it contains true history.
There is no certainty about the author of the book. It was written long after the events had passed (Ruth 4:7), which took place "in the time of the judges" (Ruth 1:1).
The Navarre Bible Commentary is also helpful, in the section of the Introduction on "The Book of Ruth in the Light of the New Testament" and in it's commentary on Ruth 1:6-22:
4. THE BOOK OF RUTH IN THE LIGHT OF THE NEW TESTAMENT
In the light of the New Testament we can see that the Lord gave Ruth a key role in salvation history, as was also true of Rachel, Leah, and Tamar. Her grandson would be the father of David and therefore she would have the honour of having her name recorded in the geneology of Jesus (cf. Mt 1:5).
Christian tradition has seen Ruth as standing for all those men and women of every nation who, on coming to know the Lord, become members of his Church and find in it their home.
Reading this book also reminds us of something St Paul said: "Your life is hid with Christ in God" (Col 3:3): God is present in everything that happens in life; he acts quietly; even the smallest things in life take on special importance if, by staying true to the Lord, as Ruth did, we detect signs of his hand in everyday events.
- - - - - -
1:6-22. [. . .] Orpah makes a perfectly reasonable decision; she sorrowfully says goodbye to Naomi and returns home. Maybe this makes Ruth's decision all the more impressive: she opts to leave her land and her family and accompany Naomi; back to her dead husband's country, where she (Ruth) has never been. Her determination says much for her fidelity to the God she came to know in her husband's family: "Where you go, I go, and where you lodge, I will lodge" (v. 16). Ruth did not belong to Israel by birth; the text repeatedly mentions that she was a Moabitess (1:4,22; 2:2,6,21; 4:5,10), a foreigner (2:10). But when she comes to know the people of God, she decides to become a member of it and makes a binding oath to this effect (v. 17). It was customary to spell out the penalties that would apply if one failed to keep an oath. However, in the sacred text those words, which were usually rather chilling, are replaced by a general form of words such as "May the Lord do so to me and more also" (v. 17; cf. 1 Sam 3:17; 2 Sam 3:9; etc.).
Christian tradition has seen in Ruth the Church of the Gentiles--all those men and women of every background who, coming to know the Lord through the witness borne by others, become part of the People of God: "In her [Ruth] we are given a symbol of all of us who have been drawn from among all the peoples to form part of the Church" (Expositio Evangelii secundum Lucam, 3, 30).
I love the Book of Ruth. It's like a candle in the darkness that is the period of the Judges, when there was so much infidelity on behalf of God's people. If you have not read it yet, I highly suggest. It's a short, yet edifying read.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to make a comment before I vote -

I actually like the large letter style however the gray color seems to do the opposite of what you want it to. Instead of making the first letter stand out, the gray does the opposite and pushes it back.

Gray = ugly

Sorry but I'm in a quandary because I can't vote for big ugly lettering!

Ryan

phatcatholic said...

Well, the thing is, I want it to stand out, but not too much. I don't really know what other color to use. I already feel like I have too many shades of brown in my blog. I thought the gray would bring another color in my blog that is present, but not as prevalent.

I dunno, what color do you think I should use?

Anonymous said...

Want to try a darker section of the orange (the area right above the horizon)- it would be darker than your border and the "title" font directly above.

Just a thought,

Ryan

Guess you can tell I've spent the summer doing way too many PPT presentations!

Amy M. said...

I like the grayish blue...but maybe that's just me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails