Thursday, September 06, 2007

Rethinking Advertising

How awesome is this commercial?


I just couldn't believe what I was watching the first time I saw this commercial. I mean, they're redefining "bling" with a guy's wedding band for crying out loud. When they introduce the "rethink beauty" portion of the commercial, they show a girl dancing in a club. I remember thinking, "Please show a mother".......and they showed a mother! I love it.

The purpose seems to be to focus the mind on what is truly important. Well, the ultimate purpose is to sell a hybrid car, but you have to get people thinking about what's really important to them before they will consider it. After all, if you're focused on hittin up Jacob the Jeweler and tearin the club up then I doubt you're thinking all that much about the environment.

Also, you'll notice that they are trying to take the good feelings that a person naturally gets from seeing a confident and happy husband, a mother holding a baby, and the physical prowess of an athlete and transfer that onto the purchasing of a hybrid automobile. They do this by showing all of these scenes one after the other. It's kinda sneaky, but dang, it works.

Plus, the song is brilliant. I mean, how can you not stop what whatever you are doing as soon as you hear it? This song makes me want to watch the commerical, and then watch the commercial again. Every time it comes on TV I'm practically thankful. That's good advertising.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

1 comment:

revprodeji said...

That was awesome. I should "borrow" the first part of it ;)

Related Posts with Thumbnails