Saturday, September 11, 2010

September 11th in God's Eyes


Exactly 9 years ago today, 2,976 people died in the attacks upon the World Trade Center. As the Lord sees this horrific sight (for all things are known to Him in an instant), may He also here the following prayers:

  • Prayer for a Happy Death:
    • O my Lord and Savior, support me in my last hour by the strong arms of Thy sacraments, and the fragrance of Thy consolations. Let Thy absolving words be said over me, and the holy oil sign and seal me; and let your own body be my food, and Thy blood my sprinkling; and let Thy Mother Mary come to me, and my angel whisper peace to me, and Thy glorious saints and my own dear patrons smile on me, that in and through them all I may die as I desire to live, in Thy Church, in Thy faith, and in Thy love. Amen.

  • Daily Acceptance of Death:
    • Most Sacred Heart of Jesus, I accept from your hands, whatever kind of death it may please you to send me today (tonight), with all its pains, penalties and sorrows, in reparation for my sins, for the souls in purgatory, for the conversion of sinners, for all those who will die today (tonight), and for your greater glory. Amen.

  • Prayer for the Dead:
    • Eternal rest, grant unto them, O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon them. May the souls of the faithful departed through the mercy of God rest in peace. Amen.


Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

5 comments:

revprodeji said...

Known to him in an instant...

But it did not happen in an instant. It was the result of free-willed beings making a decision. Im sure God knew that they could have done that, but for God to "see" or "know" for certain would mean that our free will did not determine the outcome. God knew it would happen, not that it could, and did nothing about it. If God knew for certain it would happen, and even saw it before it happened. Whats the point of prayer? We can not change the outcome.

phatcatholic said...

I knew you would have something to say about this post! God's predetermination and our free will are compatible in a way that I think is ultimately beyond our comprehension (or, at least, beyond my comprehension). I don't really know how to explain any better than I already have in previous conversations. Maybe this entry on Molinism will help, although I think you've already read it:

http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/10437a.htm

I'm sorry I can't help you more.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

revprodeji said...

Im studied molinism a bit before my conversion. In some circles open theism is called neo-molinism.

I dont like the idea that we can say contridictory things and write it off as a mystery. I think there are better answers than insulting our ability to reason.

I think i need to rent sean for a weekend.

revprodeji said...

Like the avatar?

phatcatholic said...

I concede that there is an explanation better than the ones that I have been able to give you.

Your avatar is pretty weird, btw ;-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails