I'm obviously not a doctor, so I apologize for this imprecise explanation. I hope that it is enough information for you to be able to pray well for him. I've been told that it's a very common procedure and nothing to be worried about.......but I'm still worried about it. Below are some prayers that you may wish to use, or you can simply speak from your heart (which I suppose is quite appropriate considering the intention).
He has to be at the hospital tomorrow at 11:00am and then the procedure should be sometime around 1pm CST. Thank you very, VERY MUCH for your prayers.
- - - - - - - - - -Children's Prayer for Parents:
- Dear Lord! Fill our parents with Thy choicest blessings; enrich their souls with Thy holy grace; grant that they may faithfully and constantly guard that likeness to Thy union with Thy Church, which Thou didst imprint upon them on their wedding day. Fill them with Thy spirit of holy fear, which is the beginning of wisdom; inspire them to impart it to their children. May they ever walk in the way of Thy commandments, and may we their children be their joy on earth and their crown of glory in heaven. Finally, Lord God, grant that both our father and mother may attain to extreme old age and enjoy continuous health in mind and body. May they give Thee abundant thanks because Thou bast bestowed upon them the great gift of parenthood. Amen.
Prayer for Doctors and Nurses:
- O merciful Father, who have wonderfully fashioned man in your own image, and have made his body to be a temple of the Holy Spirit, sanctify, we pray you, our doctors and nurses and all those whom you have called to study and practice the arts of healing the sick and the prevention of disease and pain. Strengthen them in body and soul, and bless their work, that they may give comfort to those for whose salvation your Son became Man, lived on this earth, healed the sick, and suffered and died on the Cross. Amen.
Prayer to St. Peregrine:
- O great St. Peregrine, you have been called "The Mighty," "The Wonder-Worker," because of the numerous miracles which you have obtained from God for those who have had recourse to you. For so many years you bore in your own flesh this cancerous disease that destroys the very fiber of our being, and who had recourse to the source of all grace when the power of man could do no more. You were favored with the vision of Jesus coming down from His Cross to heal your affliction. Ask of God and Our Lady, the cure of the sick whom we entrust to you. (Pause here and silently recall the names of the sick for whom you are praying)
Aided in this way by your powerful intercession, we shall sing to God, now and for all eternity, a song of gratitude for His great goodness and mercy. Amen.
Prayer Before Surgery:
- Loving Father, I entrust [Perry Hardesty] to your care this day; guide with wisdom and skill the minds and hands of the medical people who minister in your Name, and grant that every cause of illness be removed, [he] may be restored to soundness of health and learn to live in more perfect harmony with you and with those around [him]. Through Jesus Christ. Amen.
Prayer for Healing:
- Lord, look upon [Perry Hardesty] with eyes of mercy, may your healing hand rest upon [him], may your lifegiving powers flow into every cell of [his] body and into the depths of [his] soul, cleansing, purifying, restoring [him] to wholeness and strength for service in your Kingdom. Amen.
Possible patron saints from whom to seek intercession:
- doctors/physicians: Sts. Cosmas and Damian, St. Luke the Apostle, St. Pantaleon, St. Raphael the Archangel
- fathers: St. Joachim, St. Joseph
- healers: St. Brigid of Ireland
- health: Infant Jesus of Prague
- heart ailments/patients: St. John of God
- hospital workers: St. Camillus of Lellis, St. Jude Thaddeus, St. Vincent de Paul
♦ ♦ I love you dad. ♦ ♦