Thank you for posting Daily with DeSales. Oct 22 is appropriate for me today.Good! That's why I post those excerpts from his works. St. Francis de Sales is a superb spiritual director and apologist. We can only benefit from what he has to say to us.
I recently discovered your website and could spend hours (if I had the time) going to all links to everything.Yea, I'm a tad obsessed, if you can't tell :D
I am a cradle catholic who has become disenchanted with the church. In a round about way, I am trying to talk myself into going back to the catholic church. How am I doing this, you ask. Well, in the course of doing a novel challenge, I am using it to convert the main character to Catholicism, which will also give me a refresher course and convince myself. My question for you is (since I am overwhelmed by all the choices on your site) what book(s) would you recommend I read that will convince me to come back. God has inspired me to join this challenge and any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.It is very admirable of you to give Catholicism a second chance. Some people give little thought to abandoning the Church of their youth, yet I see from your words that you consider this to be a very important decision. I am definitely here to help in any way I can.
I'm sorry that the links are so overwhelming. Believe it or not, my sidebar used to be a lot worse. I didn't always have the drop-down menus, so every link was just listed in the sidebar, one after the other. Now THAT was overwhelming! My current sidebar is more manageable, but I can still see why you would feel that way. Just take it a little bit at a time. You have a lifetime of opportunities to read everything I have provided. And I suppose this is fitting, since Catholicism itself is a journey of a lifetime and a topic we can never exhaust.
Here are some books that I would recommend:
- Catechism of the Catholic Church: Second Edition (note: this one is the same thing, but pocket-sized)
- Holy Bible: Revised Standard Version, Catholic Edition
- You Can Understand the Bible: A Practical And Illuminating Guide To Each Book In The Bible, by Peter Kreeft
- Map of Life: A Simple Study of the Catholic Faith, by Frank Sheed
- Surprised by Truth: Vols. One, Two, and Three, by Patrick Madrid (editor)
- Theology for Beginners, by Frank Sheed
- One-Minute Apologist, by Dave Armstrong
- Handbook of Christian Apologetics, by Peter Kreeft and Ronald K. Tacelli
- If Your Mind Wanders at Mass, by Thomas Howard
- The Lamb's Supper: The Mass as Heaven on Earth, by Scott Hahn
- Hail, Holy Queen, by Scott Hahn
- Where We Got the Bible: Our Debt to the Catholic Church, by Henry G. Graham (also online here)
- The Fathers of the Church, Expanded Edition, by Mike Aquilina
- Life Is Worth Living, by Archbishop Fulton J. Sheen
- Prayer for Beginners, by Peter Kreeft
Let me know if you have any questions along the way. Good luck to you!