Monday, November 05, 2007

Poll-Release Monday #34

Here is this week's poll question: "How did you celebrate Halloween?" I'm interested to see how you all celebrate this controversial holiday. Did you just ignore it altogether, or did you try to "Christianize" it? Perhaps you think Halloween is just a harmless excuse for kids to collect candy, so you did what everyone else does. Make sure you vote in the poll in my sidebar.

When I was growing up, my parents never told me about the origins of Halloween or its connection to the saints in heaven and the souls in purgatory. I never even thought about why we were all dressing up and knocking on people's doors. I just knew that it was something that everybody did and so I wanted to do it too. Now that I know a lot more about Halloween (thanks in large part to these articles), I have begun to think differently about Halloween and to plan in my mind how I will celebrate this holiday with my children when I have a family of my own.

It's actually kind of exciting to think about! I look forward to turning Halloween into another "catechetical moment" in the lives of my children, an opportunity to get them to start thinking about life beyond this present world. Plus, if I decide to have them dress up as saints, then this will give them an opportunity to learn more about the holy men and women who came before us.

Here are the results from last week's poll:


These results are pretty much what I expected. The guardian angels are way too neglected, even by faithful Catholics. If you do not pray to your guardian angel, I highly suggest it. "Are they not all ministering spirits sent forth to serve, for the sake of those who are to obtain salvation?" (Heb 1:14). Read more about them. They can be of great service to you.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails