Monday, January 21, 2008

Poll-Release Monday #41

I know, everyone wants to know what I plan on doing with the daily content, but we have to get the business stuff out of the way first.

SOOoooo, here is the new poll question for the week:
  • "What is your favorite sacramental?"
    • holy water
    • holy oil
    • ashes
    • scapular
    • rosary
    • blessed medals
    • making the sign of the Cross
    • icons
    • statues
    • incense
    • bells
    • blessed palms
There's a lot to choose from there! It will be interesting to see which option is the favorite. Of course, this week's poll question is inspired by my current debate on holy water. To vote, see the poll in my sidebar. If you're not sure what a sacramental is, just check out these articles.

That said, on to the results of the previous poll:
  • "Which daily content would you like to see here in 2008?"
    • Switch to "Daily with G. K. Chesterton": 25 (41%)
    • Switch to "Daily with the Early Church Fathers": 22 (36%)
    • Keep "Daily with De Sales": 12 (20%)
    • Switch to "Daily with Augustine": 2 (3%)
    • TOTAL VOTES: 61
First of all, I'm really pleased with the turn out for this one. That's the most votes I've had in a poll in a long time.

Anyway, here is what I've decided to do. Chesterton and the Early Church Fathers are the clear winners, so I'm just going to combine the selections of each into one post that I will make daily. The "Daily with the Early Church Fathers" is more like "Daily with great Catholic writers/thinkers/theologians," since not all of the quotations are from the first 7 centuries. So, it will go well alongside the Chesterton quotes, Chesterton of coursse being a great Catholic writer as well.

Oh, and I think I"ll call it, "Daily Dose of Discernment." Sound good? I hope so! The first installment will be today. As for "Daily with De Sales," it's been a good run, but I think I'm going to put him into retirement. But, don't despair, you can still get your daily dose of St. Francis de Sales by going here. For more from St. Francis, click on the "Online Works by Great Catholic Authors" button (in my sidebar) and scroll down to his name.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

9 comments:

Mark said...

I can't find your poll in your sidebar; am I missing a trick?

phatcatholic said...

You should see it right below the "Daily Catholic Quotation" and above the "Message Me" box. If your browser does not support javascript, or is blocking it for security reasons, then you may not see it.

Loving Jesus thru Mary said...

I Love them all( blessed salt too) but I like Icons the best because it's the closest thing to Heaven that I have in my home, since I can't have adoration in my house(:

Mark said...

I can't see any of that, but I thought I had JS enabled. How do I find out?

I'm running Camino 1.5 on OS X 10.4.11, by the way.

Ebeth said...

Nick,
The rosary is the most used of the sacramentals, beside the "sign of the Cross" prayer here, however, I dearly miss the bells at the Eucharistic prayer during Mass at our parish. Holy water would be next along with the scapular, but my scapular keeps breaking and I end up tucking in my bra for good measure and I can never remember to purchase a small bottle and a font to put holy water in for the house. Pictures are wonderful, I have a beautiful picture of "madonna and child" in our foyer and a "Bless this house" sacred heart picture by the in the hall.

Hugs!
Ebeth

La gallina said...

I love all the sacramentals so much. I appreciate that God gave us so much beauty in our Church. A few years ago, before becoming a Catholic, I had a very beautiful experience when I crossed myself with holy water for the first time.

I had only been to Mass a few times. I crossed myself with holy water just to see what it was like. Then about a half hour later during Mass (I'd forgotten all about the holy water) I felt those four blessed points on my head and chest begin to sort of glow or tingle. I was astounded. I had no idea up until that point that holy water was actually HOLY! It was probably the only time I have ever had a physical spiritual experience.

phatcatholic said...

Mark.......all of those are javascript applications, so something is wrong with your ability to view javascript. It may have something to do with your security settings. I don't have a Mac, so I'm afraid I can't be of much help.

Mark said...

Strange: I just checked my settings and they say Javascript enabled. Maybe your code is somewhere an eentsy weentsy bit buggy and my browser is being strict? (Wouldn't be the first time!)

Laura H. said...

its too hard to choose. so i choose not to choose.

Related Posts with Thumbnails