Monday, February 25, 2008

Poll-Release Monday #44

It has certainly been a long time coming, but here is your new poll for the week:

True or False?: "A repentance motivated by a love of God above all else obtains forgiveness of mortal sin."
  • True
  • False
In RCIA, we recently discussed the Sacrament of Reconciliation more in depth, and this is one of the issues that came up. What do you say? Vote in the poll in the sidebar and let me know.

That said, here are the results from the previous poll, which is now 3 weeks old, but only ran for a week and a half:

"What do you think of the new topical index at the top of my blog?"
  • Yay: 27 (84%)
  • Nay: 5 (16%)
Most of you all liked the index where it was, before I even made it so that you could hide or reveal it (by clicking on the button at the top of my blog). So, I'm guessing it's a hit now, and I hope that you all are using it.

Finally, nominations end this Friday (the 29th) for the 2008 Catholic Blog Awards, so make sure you nominate me before it's too late! Remember, I'm shooting for two awards this year: "Best Apologetics Blog" and "Best Designed Blog." Feel free to nominate me in both categories! I know my apologetical content has been down these last 2-3 weeks, but I plan on upping it here shortly.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your blog and I would like to tell you about mine it's:votejohnmccain.blogsppot.com.

Laudate Dominum said...

"A repentance motivated by a love of God above all else obtains forgiveness of mortal sin."

I voted true but I'm not sure that I understand what you mean exactly. If you mean to say that repentance above all else obtains forgiveness of sins I would disagree because it removes the sacrament from the picture. If you are asking if repentance, which is motivated by love of God above all else (as opposed to fear of hell or other such things), is capable of obtaining forgiveness of mortal sin I would vote true but not in an unqualified way.

Based on the theology of the Council of Trent I believe it is proper to say that a state of perfect contrition is capable of reconciling man to God even in the case of mortal sin and before having received the Sacrament of Penance.
The nuance though is that the desire to receive sacramental absolution is essential here and if you take the sacrament out of the equation entirely the statement becomes false.

Related Posts with Thumbnails