Wednesday, April 02, 2008

A Sincere Faith and A Life Well Lived

I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother Lo'is and your mother Eunice and now, I am sure, dwells in you.
-- 2 Tim 1:5
My grandmother died on Thursday. Margaret Sue Greenwell Hardesty was 76 years old. She had 12 children, 33 grandchildren, and 4 great-grandchildren. I should have posted this sooner, but it has been difficult to write.

Echoing the words of St. Paul, I am reminded of a sincere faith when I think of my grandmother. When I was little, I would occasionally stay at her house whenever I got too sick to go to school. One reason why I always loved staying there was because she had statues, and icons, and pictures of Jesus all throughout the house. The most comfortable place in the world was on her couch, underneath a blanket, with those Catholic images all around me. Even now, so many years later, I can think of that and it helps me to relax.

"Granmommy," as we called her, was a good and holy woman. She walked to Mass every day, she somehow managed to put all 12 of her children through Catholic schools, and she always encouraged us to pray and to love Jesus. My fervent prayer is that she has now received the Eternal Beatitude with God that she so deserves. I also pray that her strong desire in these last 12 or so years has finally been met: to be in heaven with her husband, Thomas Dennis Hardesty, who died of lung cancer.

Hopefully, when I stand face-to-face with God when it is my time, He will be able to say to me, "I am reminded of your sincere faith, a faith that dwelt first in your grandmother .... and now, I am sure, dwells in you."

Please pray for her, particularly at Mass.

Eternal rest grant unto them, oh Lord
-- And may His perpetual light shine upon them.
May the souls of the faithfully departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.

Margaret Hardesty .... requiescat in pace.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

6 comments:

Tiber Jumper said...

Sorry for your loss. I will say prayers for her and your family.
Your post made me long for a grandma like that. Perhaps I never would have left the Church
God bless

Laura H. said...

Nicky... I'm so sorry to hear that. Send my condolences to the whole fam. I will be praying for her and for you and for everyone else affected by her death...

Theocoid said...

My condolences to you and your family.

Anonymous said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes; I will gladly pray for your grandmother's soul and for your family today and at my next Mass!

Your story of your grandmother reminds me of mine, who left us a little over nine years ago. Perhaps our grandmothers are enjoying Our Lord's company together right now!

May God bless you and console you!

Kristen J

Ebeth said...

You are in my prayers and your grandmommy, too. The writing of this post was beautiful and I can just imagine fulfilling for you. Writing about my father-in-law recently was very gratifying and made him seem all the more saintly to the world as well as in my little world!

Love and hugs!
Ebeth

Susanne said...

Nick, I am so sorry to hear of your loss. I will pray for her soul and for the consolation of you and your family. I have put her on our list of "Holy Souls" on the cupboard. God bless.
Love,
Mom M

Related Posts with Thumbnails