Thursday, April 10, 2008

On Baptism by Immersion

I recently received the following question via the combox in my sidebar:

Baptism by immersion only: I went to catholic.com but I need some more stuff on this. I just got back from getting my rump handed to me on this one. Can ya help?
Well, without knowing what their exact arguments are, I can't really say a whole lot. But, I can point you to various articles online that address this issue:A lot of those links were broken, so I had to look up the archived version. They should work now, but if for some reason they don't, just leave a comment and let me know.

Remember that immersion is a legitimate form of baptism in the Catholic Church, and it is actually the form that best symbolizes the dying to sin and rising to new life that truly takes place in baptism. BUT, it is not the only way to baptize. The important thing is that water is used, not that the person be completely submerged in it.

I know that's not a lot, but I hope it helps. If you would like an answer to any specific arguments or objections that your opponents may have, then tell me what those are and I'll see what I can do.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

5 comments:

No Fluff Required said...

Hey Phatcatholic,
I do not meet many young Catholics who have enough zeal to defend the church and still like hard rock music. By "the church" I assume you mean the Roman Catholic church.
This is interesting to me. I will check out your blog....hmmm.

I just popped over from thewayisay.
Thanks for your kind comments on my hymn of redemption.

No Fluff Required said...

Do you welcome friendly debate? I promise not to show my teeth.

No Fluff Required said...

Thank you for your response to this way back on April 14th. I'm not sure why my email alert sent your comments to my spam.

I replied to your comments on thewayisay, on my "you wept" post.

I send my apologies.

Gary said...

Dear Baptist Christian brothers and sisters, the "ritual" or mode of baptism is not what is important! If we must do everything EXACTLY as Christ did it, why do Baptists use "shooter glasses" in their Lord's Supper instead of passing around ONE "cup" as Christ did? The Baptist insistence on strict adherence to the ritual of Baptism is a violation of the New Covenant. We are no longer bound by ritual, but by the work of the Holy Spirit in the hearts and souls of men.

The mode of Baptism is not what matters. What matters is the convert's submission to God's command to be baptized, and God's response in and to this act.

http://www.lutherwasnotbornagain.com/2013/09/baptism-are-baptists-more-ritualistic.html

Gary said...

Catholic, Anglican and Lutheran Bible scholars say that the Greek word "baptizo" means simply "washing". Baptist Bible scholars say that "baptizo" ONLY means "immersion". Who is right?

Why don't we ask a non-Christian linguistics expert for an unbiased opinion? He has no "dog in this fight".

http://www.lutherwasnotbornagain.com/2013/09/non-christian-linguistics-expert-says.html

Related Posts with Thumbnails