Monday, May 19, 2008

Poll-Release Monday #51

Here is this week's poll question:


True or False?: Prayer is a battle against ourselves.
Interesting statement here. What do you think? Vote in the poll in the sidebar.

As for last week's poll, here are the results:
  • True or False?: The parish is the first place for education in prayer.
    • True: 1 (4%)
    • False: 22 (96%)
You all nailed this one. The answer, of course is:
  • False. cf. CCC 2685 The Christian family is the first place of education in prayer. Based on the sacrament of marriage, the family is the "domestic church" where God's children learn to pray "as the Church" and to persevere in prayer. For young children in particular, daily family prayer is the first witness of the Church's living memory as awakened patiently by the Holy Spirit.
I first learned my prayers in the home. My dad taught me the Hail Mary, the Our Father, the Glory Be, the "Angel of God" prayer, and the Children's Evening Prayer ("Now I lay me down to sleep...."). However, I learned the Act of Contrition in gradeschool and my homeroom teacher in middle school taught me the Prayer to St. Michael (the inspiration for this blog). I didn't learn how to pray the rosary until my senior year in college (pretty crazy). I learned the Prayer to the Holy Spirit ("Come Holy Spirit, fill the hearts of your faithful....") my first semester here at FUS and I learned to say the Sanctus and Agnus Dei in Latin around that time as well.

So, as far as my experience is concerned, the home was the first place I learned how to pray....but it definitely wasn't the only place. Do you remember when and where you learned your Catholic prayers? Leave a comment and let me know.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails