As I'm sure you know, some Protestants have great disdain for our priests. They think we shouldn't have a ministerial priesthood, we shouldn't call priests "father," and these priests certainly shouldn't be celibate! In honor of our priests on Father's Day, I offer the following resources in response to those claims.
"And I will give you shepherds after my own heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding" (Jer 3:15).
Praise be to God!
- - - - - - - - - -Celibacy
- Sacerdotalis Caelibatus (The Celibacy Of The Priest)
- Catholic Closet Crisis
- Celibacy and Catholic Teaching
- Celibacy and the Priesthood
- Celibacy Is a Gift
- Celibacy Isn't the Problem
- Celibacy: Anthropological Considerations
- Celibacy: Historical Perspective
- Church's Teaching on Priestly Celibacy
- Clerical Celibacy and the Principle of Asceticism in Catholicism
- Clerical Celibacy: The Biblical Rationale
- Dialogue on Clerical Celibacy
- Dialogue on Peter's Marriage and Why It Doesn't Disprove Catholicism
- God's Gift to His Bride: Priestly Celibacy
- How to Argue for Priestly Celibacy
- Keep Thyself Chaste
- Priestly and Religious Celibacy: Is it Dead or Should It Be?
- Priestly Celibacy and the Vocation to Love
- Purity: The Way of the Celibate
- Setting the Record Straight: Priestly Celibacy
- The Irrational Antipathy of Luther, Calvin, and Other Protestants to Clerical Celibacy
- What's the Deal with Legally Married Priests?
- When Clergy Marry: An Insider's View
- Why a Married Priesthood Won't Remedy the Priest Shortage
- Why Not Married Priests?: The Case for Clerical Celibacy
- Challenging Calvinist Thinking: The Ordained Priesthood vs. The Priesthood of the Faithful
- Eucharist Is Joined to Ministerial Priesthood
- How William Bausch Destroys the Priesthood
- If Lay People Are Called to Minister, Why Do We Need an Ordained Priesthood?
- Instruction Regarding the Collaboration of the Non-Ordained Faithful in the Sacred Ministry of Priest
- Lay Preaching
- Ministerial Priesthood, Priestly Identity, and the Evangelical Counsels
- Teach Essential Distinction Between Ministerial Priesthood and Royal Priesthood of the Baptized
- The Ministerial Priesthood
- The Nature of the Priesthood
- The Priesthood Debate
- Why Can Only Priests Consecrate the Eucharist?
Priest As Spiritual Father
- Call No Man Father?
- Call No Man Father?: Understanding Mt 23:9
- Catholic Answers: Call No Man Father?
- Catholic Culture: Call No Man Father?
- Calling Men "Father"
- Don't Be Called a Teacher and Call No Man Your Father
- What Do I Tell Someone Who Insists on Calling a Priest "Mister" Instead of "Father"?
- Why Catholics Call Priests "Father"
- Why Do We Call Priests "Father"?
I also have several blog posts on holy orders and the priesthood:
- Defending Priestly Celibacy: Parts One -- Two -- Three -- Four -- Five -- Six -- Seven
- Must Bishops Be Married?
- Q&A Potpourri [two questions are about celibacy and women priests]
- Eight Key Points, Part 3: Ministerial Priesthood
- Wheat and Weeds in the Catholic Church (On the sexual abuse scandal)
- Does the Bible Say Anything about Having Priests in the Church?
- Where Are Deacons Found in Scripture?
- "Salutations in the Marketplaces" and Calling Priests "Father"
- Debate with "Russell" on Calling Priests "Father": Parts One -- Two -- Three -- Four
- Debate on the Office of New Testament Priest: Parts One -- Two -- 3a -- 3b -- Four
- Pentecost, the 70, and a Female Priesthood