Monday, June 16, 2008

Poll-Release Monday #54

Continuing with the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, from the USCCB's quiz on the Catechism, here is this week's poll question:

True or false. The sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, when administered to a person at the point of death, is called Viaticum.
What do you think? Vote in the poll in my sidebar.

As for last week's poll, here are the results:
  • True or false?: In time of imminent danger of death when no priest is present, any believer may give the Anointing of the Sick.
    • True: 12 (43%)
    • False: 16 (57%)
The correct answer is:
  • False; cf. CCC 1530: Only priests (presbyters and bishops) can give the sacrament of the Anointing of the Sick, using oil blessed by the bishop, or if necessary by the celebrating presbyter himself.
I can understand why I a lot of you got this one wrong. After all, if, in exceptional circumstances, a lay person can baptize, you would think he would be able to administer the Anointing of the Sick as well. But, it is not so. Off the top of my head, I'm not sure why that is either. I guess I'm not a genius after all. Perhaps the entry on the Anointing of the Sick from the Directory will be of service.

Thanks for voting!

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails