Wednesday, July 16, 2008

So Far So Good

Now that I am finally settled in a little bit, I have some time to blog. These last few days have been crazy, but good.

First off, I completely underestimated how long it would take me to pack up all of my stuff. I stayed up until SIX IN THE MORNING loading up the car. Then, I slept for an hour, got up, got ready, picked up Amy, and then drove 7 1/2 hrs. home to Owensboro. The car was so full that I couldn't even see out of my back window. That was fun. Finally, we made it home, safe and sound.

Of course, when I got home I couldn't just collapse on the couch. No, I had to rush to the courthouse with my dad and try to get the car transferred to my name before they closed. We made it there in time but we didn't have all the forms we needed. Bummer. When we got back home, I hopped in the car with my mom and we went to the bank. She had some stuff to do there, and I had to deposit a check so that my stupid account would quit bouncing. Then, when I got home from that, I had to take Amy to the minor emergency room because she had white blotches on her tonsils and she was afraid she might have something contagious. Of course, that took forever so I didn't finally get to sit down until dinner time.

What a day that was.

Thankfully, Saturday and Sunday were more chill. I went to Starbucks and had my first ever cappuccino. I know, you're probably freaking out, but you have to realize that I had never stepped foot in a Starbucks until I met Amy. I never drank coffee and never really had a desire to drink anything like it. Plus, the menu at Starbucks has always been a little intimidating to me. I never knew what half the words meant, and instead of exposing myself as the only moron in town, I just never bothered. But, Amy has been an excellent tutor and she is slowly introducing me to the coffee world. We'll see how that goes.

Btw, did you know that the word cappuccino comes from the resemblance of the drink's color to the hood of the Capuchin friars? Pretty cool, huh?

Anyway, Sunday was bitter sweet. Fr. John gave an excellent homily on the fecundity of the Word and how we should strive to be open to the Word so that it will bear fruit in our lives. It was cool to open up the bulletin and read: "Nicholas Hardesty, Director of Religious Education." I guess that means I've finally arrived. Of course, the bitter part came after Mass, when I had to say goodbye to Amy. She came home with me for the weekend so that she could drive my car back to Steubenville. She still has a year of school left, and I didn't want to leave her without any transportation. Anyway, she was sad, I was sad, it was all sad...but I tried my best to cheer her up.

Monday, my first day of work, was filled with more packing and unpacking. I decided to take the former nurse's office, so I had to pack up all of her stuff and carry it up to the attic for storage. Then I had to move in two more bookshelves to add to the two that were already in there because I have so many books (haha!). Once I unpacked all of my stuff, then I had to go to the old DRE's office, pack up all of her stuff, and then move that into my office as well. Tuesday, I went through the nurse's and the DRE's filing cabinets, trying to make sense of years and years of STUFF. Today is Wednesday and I can say that I am more or less finally settled in.

The next step is to meet with Fr. John and work out a schedule for the year so that we can start preparing for RCIA, Religious Ed., and Sacramental Prep. I'm anxious to get some dates settled and get to work on those things. I anticipate a lot of work in my future and I want to start chipping away at it. Tonight is my first Parish Council meeting, and I anticipate that a lot of things will be settled then as well.

I guess that's all for now. I just wanted to fill everyone in since I haven't posted in a while. I missed Poll-Release Monday (again!), so the current poll will have to run for another week. I thank you all for hanging in there with me.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Hidden One said...

Wow.

Amy M. said...

Guess who had to pack up the rest of the apartment after he left...

*points emphatically to self*

Related Posts with Thumbnails