Monday, July 07, 2008

When the Rubber Meets the Road

All this week I will be working on packing up my stuff for the trip back to Owensboro. As such, I doubt I'll have time to post anything of theological significance until next week. So, everyone who is waiting for a defense or any answer from me will have to wait a little while longer. I'm sorry! If I don't get off this computer, I'll never get out of here!

I'll definitely be glad when all of this packing and moving and unpacking is finally over. I can't think of too many things that are more of a pain then moving. But, I can't put it off forever. After all, the "real world" is calling and I need to answer. I've been going to school for 20 years now (with a year-long stint in the "real world" between my two Master's degrees):
  • 12 yrs. for grade school thru high school
  • 4 yrs. for my B.A.
  • 2 yrs. for my M.Ed.
  • 2 yrs. for my M.A.
That's a LONG time . . . . and A LOT of debt!! It's time to do something about it.

It's also time to stop preparing and start acting. It's time to step up to the plate, time to rise to the occasion, time to see what I'm made of, time to use cliches for "delivering." It's a little intimidating. Lately I've been asking myself, "Do I have what it takes?" Sometimes I'm not so sure . . . . but I can't be afraid to find out.

When you're not sure if you can do something, sometimes you just have to do it anyway, pretend like you know what you're doing until you actually know what you're doing. I'm not sure if I'll be a good DRE, but by God, I'm gonna show up anyway. Put on a smile. Be confident. Never let them see me sweat. Even though I'm freaking out on the inside.

This may seem incongruous, but the alternative is to hem and haw and second guess myself at every turn, and that never got anybody anywhere. Plus, I think God wants more for me than that. So, it's time to stand up. Time to be a man. Time to move on with my life. We'll see how it goes.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

9 comments:

Laura H. said...

you may not have what it takes, but God does. let Him help you. (let Him do the heavy lifting, if you will.)

love ya phatty :)

Jnorm888 said...

Have a safe trip back home. I know you will do well in your new job.

You are one of the best Apologists I know. I'm sure you will be a great teacher.





JNORM888

jmjtina said...

God plus one is an army. Trust in Him completely, with reckless abandonment. You'll be great, I know it!!!!!

Prayers as always.

+JMJ

phatcatholic said...

Thanks everyone!

Hey jnorm, what u been up to?

Sister Mary Martha said...

"When you're not sure if you can do something...."

That's how I wound up being a nun.

Watch out! You may end up in a convent.

Anonymous said...

Congrats on the real life JOB!! You'll do great. The Church needs young people like you. You are inspiring youth in ways you don't even know! "The fun is always on the other side of a YES!"

And may I invite you to Houston TX if you feel the need for a big friendly city? MIght be fun for awhile. . . .

Doug and Elizabeth said...

Hey Nick!!

Laura is very right! God didn't pick the intellects, wealthy, and well adjusted, now did He! If you don't have it, He will provide you with the ammo!

I agree with Jnorm888 about being a great apologist! I sure depend on you!

Happy trails and see you on the other end of your trip!!

Hugs!
Ebeth

Jnorm888 said...

Pretty much the same. I went to a church conference last month, and I plan on taking a few home courses through my Parish. Other than that, it's pretty much the same over here.

But congradulations! I hope you do well.




JNORM888

Lindsay said...

I second Laura's comment. I'm six weeks into the biggest adventure of my life, and some days, the only thing that keeps me going is knowing that God is on my side. May he continue to bless us both! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails