This, paired with the frenzied reactions of family and friends lead me to believe that perhaps the obsession over this series was getting out of hand (understatement), and I was curious to see if any Catholic or Christian writers had reviewed the book.
Below is a list of links to reviews and summaries of the Twilight series that bring to "light" it's various anti-Christian and truly harmful qualities. Perhaps this list will be a helpful resource for parents with swooning daughters, or youth ministers who can't get their group to calm down because they are too gitty over this stuff. When girls (and even their mothers!) start viewing Edward Cullen as the epitome of the "ideal man" then something is very, very wrong.
Any links to blog posts will be in chronological order.
- Spes Unica blog:
- What Is Twilight Saying to Young Women?
- Twilight: Critique of Review in The Catholic Post
- About Thirst
- Why Take On Twilight? To Fight for True Femininity!
- Other Interesting Points
- The Twilight Saga: A Critique
- Twilight's Message re: Marriage and Family
- I Just Saw Twilight, the Movie...
- Is Twilight Anti-Christian? Yes
- Just Fantasy? Think again: "The War for Our Children's Souls"
- Why Meyer's claim to be "anti-human" is anti-Christian
- Do girls need fantasy?
- On Jacob's Lust
- Intellectual and Cultural "Respectability" and the Trivialization of Evil
- Selfishness vs. Love
- Just Another Day of Catholic Pondering blog:
- Stephen D. Greydanus:
- DecentFilms.com: Twilight Appeal: The cult of Edward Cullen and vampire love in Stephenie Meyer’s novels and the new film -- The Twilight Saga: New Moon (2009) -- New Moon: The Twilight Saga Returns -- Twilight: Breaking Dawn's Fork in the Road
- Our Sunday Visitor: Vampire romance: Pure love or disordered passions?
- Laura Miller (Salon.com): Touched By a Vampire
- Gina R. Dalfonzo (National Review Online): In Love with Death: The Twilight of American Fiction
- Catholic Media Review blog:
- Connecticut Catholic Corner blog: Stephanie Meyer's Twilight Series Book Review
- The Spirit's Sword blog: Will ... to live ... fading
- Jeffrey Overstreet (LookingCloser.org): Reviewing Twilight, the Movie
- Maureen Wittmann: Review: Twilight
- Plugged In Online: Movie Reviews: Twilight
- The Write Tools blog: Twilight Preaches Mormonism
- The Point blog:
- Nathan Briscoe: I read Twilight (forgive me)
- Sci Fi Catholic blog:
- Okie Booklady blog: Twilight
- No Question Left Behind blog: Twilight and Catholic Girls
- Thomas S. Hibbs, National Review Online: Just Bite Her Already
- Leticia Valesquez, Catholic Online: The Twilight of Good Writing
- Fr. Thomas Euteneuer, Catholic Exchange: Vampire Logic.
- Dana: Reasoning with Vampires
- Dr. Christine Schintgen, Catholic Insight: The Twilight Series: Pro-Chastity or Not?
- Michael D. O'Brien: Twilight of the West.
- For a response to O'Brien's article, see this from Sci-Fi Catholic: Michael D. O'Brien on Twilight
- John J. Miller: Defanged
- Nicole Baart: Twilight: It's Got Love All Wrong
- Sonja Bolle, Los Angeles Times: Why Twilight Isn't for Everybody
- John Scott Lewinski, Wired: Top 20 Unfortunate Lessons Girls Learn From Twilight
- Simcha Fisher: Dangerous Books for Teenage Girls
- "Marc", Bad Catholic blog: Why Twilight Sucks
More links to be added as I find them.
UPDATE (12/27/2010): I recently came across the following YouTube video that I would like to add to the collection as well:
UPDATE (11/17/2011): In honor of Breaking Dawn: Part 1, which hits theaters this Friday, I added at least a dozen or so links to the collection.
Check back regularly for updates. If you have any links that I have missed, please let me know in the combox.