Thursday, January 15, 2009

First Look at a Project I've Been Workin On

If any of you are wondering why I haven't posted very much here recently, the fact is, I've been working on a new website for my parish. It was one of the first things I decided I was going to do when I was hired as a DRE.

I think a website can be a very valuable tool for a parish. Most people probably go to parish websites to find out when that parish is having Mass, or when Confession is offered. But, if you can get them to stick around for a bit, then you can teach them a thing or two about the Catholic Church and hopefully compel them to become members of the parish.

Susan Burghart, a friend of mine from Phatmass volunteered to do some graphic design. Then she plopped it in my lap and it was up to me to scrape up enough of an understanding of html and css to add the content and the various pages of the website. It hasn't been easy, but I think that so far her and I have been able to put together a pretty good website.

Anyway, enough of the build up. Here it is:

Blessed Mother Catholic Church.

It's still a work in progress, but I would really appreciate your comments and feedback. I'm particularly fond of the "Links" page (which is a no-brainer if you know me or have spent more than 30 seconds looking at my sidebar). What have you always wanted to see in a parish website? What can I do to make it better? I'm opening myself up to your criticism, so please be kind. Remember: I'm a rookie at this.

NOTE: Apparently IE is not reading my CSS like every other browser does. Until I can figure out how to hack it into submission, the site is not going to look right on that browser. You should be using Firefox anyway ;)

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

ps: In case you're wondering what my last post was all about, I basically did that as a resource for me because I needed to link to this document from the CDF, but the only site that had the english translation now requires you to register to read their articles. SOooo, I posted it on my blog. I'm going to have to go through the Directory now and delete literally thousands of links to articles from that site. Ugh.

2 comments:

Jeff Schmitz said...

One thing, easily fixed, the site jumps horizontally from page due to an alignment issue.

Matt1618 said...

before you delete thousands of links to catholicculture.org check out http://www.bugmenot.com/
users submit real logins that they have signed up for on thousands of websites
I think firefox also has a bugmenot plugin that allows you to right-click a login box, select bugmenot and its automatically filled in with a valid login!
I don't think this is immoral because it doesn't give you logins to websites that you have to pay to join, just free ones... but I guess you could argue its dishonest...

Related Posts with Thumbnails