Wednesday, December 30, 2009

elecTRONic geekiness

Over the Christmas break, while I was in Maine, Amy and I took her younger brothers to see Avatar in IMAX 3D. It was AMAZING! I think I can safely say that it was the most visually-stunning movie I have ever seen. For those of you who live in a cave, here's a trailer:



At any rate, my intention is actually to talk about a different movie. While I was waiting in line to enter the IMAX theater, I saw a poster for the new Tron movie, Tron Legacy, and just about lost every bodily fluid at my disposal. I'm sure this is old news to most people, but that's the first I had heard about a sequel to the old Tron movie that blew my mind when I was a little kid. I pretty much couldn't wait to get home so that I could read up on the old movie and the new one, and try to find a trailer for the new one, which is slated for release in December 2010.

When I was little, the lightbike scene was always my favorite. I remember thinking it was the coolest thing I had ever seen. I just couldn't believe that something like that was possible to make. You need to see what I'm talking about first, before you can really appreciate the trailer for the new movie.

Tron (1982) Lightbike Scene:



Even today, that's pretty darn cool. Now that you are initiated, check out a similar scene from the new movie.

Tron Legacy (2010) Lightbike Scene:



I can't wait to see it!!

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

2 comments:

Lindsay said...

You liked Avatar? I thought it was beautiful and the 3-D effects were cool, but it was mostly lame. See my harebrained attempt at a movie review.

phatcatholic said...

I should clarify: It was "AMAZING" on a visual level. They did groundbreaking stuff with computer animation for this movie. As far as the plot though, it was pretty typical, and predictable. I could have told you from the very beginning how it was all going to turn out. I thought it was still fun to watch, though.

Related Posts with Thumbnails