Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Fr. William Francis Medley, New Bishop of the Diocese of Owensboro, KY

I am pleased today to announce that my diocese, the Diocese of Owensboro, KY, finally has a new bishop: Fr. William Francis Medley, a pastor from the Archdiocese of Louisville, KY. Rocco Palmo over at "Whispers" broke the story, as he is often wont to do, at about 5 AM this morning. His article is excellent about placing the significance of the appointment within the larger context of Vatican appointments to the bishopric this year.

On the diocesan website, you can read a biography of the bishop-elect, read the statement he gave at the press conference welcoming him as the new bishop, and even watch a video of that conference.

As I watched the news conference, my first impression was that he is very down-to-earth and congenial man. He seems very friendly and approachable. He has a good sense of humor and he speaks well in public. I read his statement before I saw him deliver it, and I found it to be very articulate and meaningful. At the press conference he seemed to get choked up at the mention of his mother and the role that she plays in his life. This tells me that he is a man who is in tune with his emotions and who has a deep and abiding love for his family. The significance of this appointment has not escaped him, and he appeared truly humbled by it, stating often that he will rely on past and present bishops of Kentucky and on the faithful he shepherds to guide him as a bishop.

As a Director of Religious Education in the diocese, I am grateful for this assignment and I look forward to working with and getting to know our new bishop in the upcoming months.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

1 comment:

Paul Stokell said...

Nick,

In the experience I've had with him, Bishop-elect Medley simply will not disappoint you. He will be the "certain trumpet" Owensboro needs and wants to follow.

I'll be anxious to hear his name mentioned at the 9:00 a.m. Christmas Day Mass my family always attends in Central City!

Related Posts with Thumbnails