Sunday, October 10, 2010

Rare Finds at the Public Library

A couple of weeks ago, the local public library had a huge book sale, and of course, I'd have to have no pulse in order to NOT check it out. Well, after looking at literally EVERY book on every shelf that they had reserved for the book sale -- and nearly breaking my neck in the process -- I managed to come away with some pretty awesome books. Check it:

  • Brideshead Revisited, by Evelyn Waugh (first edition!)
  • Grimm's Fairy Tales, by Jakob and Wilhelm Grimm (there's no copyright info, but it looks to be very old)
  • The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, by Mark Twain (complete and unabridged, edited with an introduction by Peter Coveney, illustrated by E.W. Kemble)
  • Mother Goose's Nursery Rhymes (illustrated by Edna Cooke, copyright 1930)
  • Introduction to the Devout Life, by St. Francis de Sales (copyright 1946)
  • Saint Among Savages: The Life of Isaac Jogues, by Francis Talbot, SJ (copyright 1935)

My wife also grabbed a copy of Emma, one of the few Jane Austen books she hasn't read yet, and Freezing and Canning Cookbook: Revised Edition, edited by Nell B. Nichols (copyright 1963). We bought two other books as well, but I can't tell you what they are because they are meant to be presents for people and I don't want to ruin the surprise!

At any rate, I couldn't believe that these books were just collected dust on some random shelf somewhere. I think I paid $8.00 for that first edition of Brideshead Revisited. I love scoring awesome books that no one else cares about. Well, I love scoring awesome books PERIOD, but when they're hiding among a mountain of other books that someone is trying to get rid of, then it's even sweeter.

Have you found a rare book recently, perhaps at a garage sale or a pawn shop, or from some hapless individual on ebay who didn't know what he was selling? (those are the BEST!) Leave a comment and let me know.

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

3 comments:

Jerica Michael said...

We found a copy of the Rime of the Ancient Mariner illustrated by Gustave Doré somewhere. I can't tell when exactly it was published, but the back of the title page say "Entered according to the Act of Congress in the year 1889, by Henry Altemus." It looks old. The smell reminds me of my grandparents... :'(

Carnival said...

My home public library sells extra books for a dollar each. Sometimes there are good books there. I've got tons at home. Probably the majority of books I own.

phatcatholic said...

That's awesome, Jerica! You should definitely hold on to that one!

Carnival .... I hope that my collection will soon be overrun by library finds as well!

Related Posts with Thumbnails