Thursday, December 23, 2010

Oh, My User!! (Tron Geek-Out Alert)

On the last day of 2009, I made a post about the new Tron: Legacy movie and how excited I was for it to hit the theaters, considering how mind-blowing the original Tron movie was for me when I was a kid.

Well, last Friday I finally got to see it. It has received some bad reviews, but I thought it was ... AWESOME! Perhaps I'm not as much of a discriminating viewer as your average movie critic. Oh well, I usually don't agree with secular movie critics anyway. There's one scene towards the end of the movie that I completely geeked-out on. I could hardly contain myself, it was so freakin perfect. I don't want to spoil it for you, so I won't say any more, but if you've seen the original movie more than once you'll know exactly what I'm referring to.

If you haven't seen the original movie yet, you definitely should. You don't have to see it in order to get what's going on in the new movie, but if you do then you'll appreciate Legacy a lot more. Thankfully, the entire movie is on YouTube, in 9 parts. Start with Part 1 and once it ends, YouTube will queue the next Part in the series.

Also, here are the 3 official trailers for the new movie. Watch these and then tell me you don't wanna see it!







There are some interesting religious themes in Legacy.

-- SPOILER ALERT --

When Quorra gets hurt in one scene, Kevin Flynn brings up a 3D display of her genetic code and breathes onto the damaged portion in order to heal her. When my brother and I saw this, we were immediately reminded of Gen 2:7, when "the LORD God formed man of dust from the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life." Flynn is revered by Quorra as "the Creator." Any program that believes he has a "User" is declared by Clu to be a religious fanatic and is harshly punished. In fact, the punishment is to participate in "the games," which is very reminiscent of the martyrdom of Christians in the Roman Colosseum. Clu was a program created by Flynn to do good, but he eventually turned against his creator much like Satan did.

The final lesson of the movie appears to be that, with the power that science and technology give us, there is also the temptation for man to become a god-like figure, manipulating other beings and the world as he sees fit. If he succumbs to this temptation, it will only lead to his peril.

Have you seen the new movie yet? Leave a comment and let me know what you thought. For the whole story behind the movies, see the Wikipedia articles for Tron and Tron Legacy.

"End line."

Pax Christi,
phatcatholic

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails