Why are there sponsors at Confirmation?
According to the Code of Canon Law, the role of the Confirmation sponsor is to take care that the person confirmed behaves as a true witness of Christ and faithfully fulfills the duties inherent in the sacrament of Confirmation (cf. no. 892).
What is a religious relic?
A religious (or "sacred") relic is a body of a saint (or a part of the body of a saint), something used by the saint, or something touched to the body of a saint. Catholics venerate relics because relics give us the opportunity to feel close to people we highly admire and to give such people the honor they deserve as saints in heaven. We also believe that God can move through a relic and perform miracles with it, if He so desires.
What are the mysteries of the rosary?
The mysteries of the rosary are various moments in the life of Jesus and Mary that one meditates upon while praying the rosary. There are four sets of five mysteries each, and each set is prayed on a certain day of the week. They are outlined as follows:
- Joyful mysteries: (prayed on Monday and Saturday)
- The Annunciation,
- The Visitation,
- The Birth of our Lord,
- The Presentation,
- and The Finding of our Lord in the Temple
- Luminous mysteries: (prayed on Thursday)
- The Baptism of our Lord in the River Jordan,
- The Wedding at Cana
- The Proclamation by our Lord of the Kingdom of God,
- The Transfiguration, and
- The Last Supper.
- Sorrowful Mysteries: (prayed on Tuesday and Friday)
- The Agony in the Garden,
- The Scourging at the Pillar,
- The Crowning with Thorns,
- The Carrying of the Cross to Calvary, and
- The Crucifixion.
- Glorious Mysteries: (prayed on Wednesday and Sunday)
- The Resurrection,
- The Ascension,
- The Descent of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost,
- The Assumption of Mary into Heaven, and
- The Coronation of Mary as Queen of Heaven and Earth
As you pray a decade of the rosary you contemplate one of the mysteries in the set until you have completed the entire rosary.
On paper, I'm sure this all sounds very confusing! The best way to learn how to pray the rosary is to pray it with others, in a group. Here at Blessed Mother there is a group that prays the rosary Monday-Thursday, at 4 PM, in the church. If you have always been curious about the rosary or ever wanted to learn how to pray it, then please join them!